Phone 408-250-7607
Philip Hawes is Monterey's only SAT and ACT Test Prep Expert.

​With a 2390 Official SAT score (out of 2400) and over 10 years of test prep tutoring experience, Philip Hawes can show your child the tricks, tips, and techniques that can  boost your child's SAT score by hundreds of points.  Some students gain over 350 points to their SAT scores. 

I have tutored and taught hundreds of SAT prep students, covering all 3 areas: SAT math, SAT critical reading, and SAT writing/essay.  Regardless of which area I am tutoring or teaching, my goal is to explain the material as simply as possible.  Whether the student is striving for a perfect score or has only a mediocre score and wants just a reasonable improvement, I try to make every lesson as simple and straight to the point as possible.  This way the student understands me and learns the material as easily as possible.

I tutor Monterey students in their homes and at the Monterey Public Library on Pacific Street.  Around 85% of my business is SAT prep and PSAT prep tutoring, with the other 15% in ACT prep tutoring. And I sometimes tutor one or two LSAT prep students. My students range from those with very high scores who want perfect scores to those with low scores who want just average scores. 

The majority of my SAT math students gain from 70 to 140 points, the majority of my SAT critical reading students gain from 70 to 130 points, and the majority of my SAT writing students gain from 90 to 150 points.  A few students, however, make huge gains to their scores.  One student went from the mid 500's in writing to an 800.

I have been tutoring the SAT, PSAT, and ACT since 1997, when I was in college. I worked for several highly regarded tutoring companies in the SF Bay Area.  Now, I tutor on my own.   I have been tutoring on my own full time since late 2008.

There is no mystery to me about these tests.  I have an official SAT score of 2390 (out of 2400).  I know what kinds of problems will be on these tests and what kinds won't.


Please feel free to contact me even if all you want is to ask a few questions.​

My cell phone number is 408-250-7607
I live in Monterey and tutor in Monterey, Carmel, Pebble Beach, Carmel Valley, Pacific Grove, Salinas, etc.

Monterey SAT prep tutoring
Score ChoiceSAT-ACT Conversion SAT Reading ListSAT Wikipedia Article

Monterey tutoring
Monterey SAT, ACT, and LSAT Tutoring by Philip Hawes
Contact Us